John Adams birthplace and homes are located in the Adams National Historical Park in Quincy, Massachusetts. Click here for directions to the park. The Adams National Park offers guided tours that leave form the Visitor Center every quarter past and quarter to the hours. The last tour departs at 3:15 pm. Visitors are taken by trolley to the presidential birthplaces of John Adams and John Quincy Adams as well as Peacefield.
Daily, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
April 19-November 10.
$5 for adults, children 16 and under are free.
Adams National Historical Park Visitor Center (view map)
1250 Hancock Street Quincy, MA 02169
John Adams Birthplace and homes
John Adams birthplace home is located in the Adams National Historical Park on Franklin Street. It was built in 1681 and purchased by Deacon John Adams, John Adams’ father, in 1720. Standing in its original location, the house is a saltbox American colonial style home and was originally surrounded by six acres of land. Here is where the second president was born on October 30, 1735 and where he and his family lived until he married Abigail Smith. In 1744 Deacon Adams purchased a second saltbox style house located 75 feet away with a large amount of land. His two properties, including the houses and land would amount to 188 acres. During the summer Deacon Adams worked as a farmer in his land with the help of his sons and in the winter as a shoemaker.
The House where John Adams was born on October 30, 1735.
When Deacon Adams died in 1761, John inherited the house and land his father had purchased in 1744 and his younger brother Peter the house where John was born. John married Abigail in 1764 and moved into the home he had inherited from his father. Here is where John Quincy Adams, the sixth president, was born. Adams spent most of his early career as an aspiring lawyer in this home.
John Adams inherited this house from his father. John Quincy was born here.
Both houses were small and humble but kept in tidy condition. Furniture was scarce and plain. In 1788 and as the Adams became more affluent they moved to a larger house known as the Old House or Peacefield. Built in 1731 by Leonard Vassall, it originally had seven rooms and rooms for servants. Furniture was more elaborate and in display are objects collected from his trips in Europe as a diplomat.
Four generations of the Adams family lived in the Old House or Peacefield.
Peacefield was John Adam’s home during his presidency and where he lived during retirement. It became the residence of the Adams family for four generations from 1788 to 1927. President John Adams, President John Quincy Adams, Minister to Great Britain Charles Francis Adams and historians Henry and Brooks Adams called Peacefield home.
Next to the Old House is the Stone Library. John Quincy requested in his will that his books and papers be placed in a separated fire proof building which was built in 1870.