The Boston Massacre Marker
The Boston Massacre marker represents the location of the historical event known as the Boston Massacre when five civilians were killed by British troops. It was the second president of the United States, John Adams, who defended the soldiers who killed the five civilians. The marker is located in the corner of State and Devonshire Streets (see map). It is a ring of cobblestones with the center stone marked with a star and it is surrounded by a bronze ring with the inscription “Site of the Boston Massacre” on the top and on the bottom “March 5, 1770”.
The current Boston Massacre marker in the corner of State and Devonshire Streets.
Its current location is not, however, its original location. In 1887 the city government and the Massachusetts Historical society decided to commemorate the event by placing a marker where the first victim, Crispus Attucks, fell dead. The location was in the corner of State and Exchange streets. It is worth noting that the marker was placed there for historical accuracy so that there would be no doubt in the future as to where the first victim had died.
In 1904 and then again in 1960 the marker was moved from its original location to allow for the construction of the subway and relocation of streets. First, the marker was moved to site where James Caldwell was shot and then to the traffic island in front of the Old State House.
The previous location of the Boston Massacre marker was on a traffic island in front of the Old State House. Click on image to enlarge